With the gtkam window, you can download and work with images from digital cameras. The gtkam window is front end to gPhoto2, which provides support for dozens of digital cameras in Linux. The gtkam window works by attaching a supported digital camera to a serial or USB port on your computer. You can view thumbnails of the digital images from the camera, view full-size images, and download the ones you select from the camera to your hard disk.
Note If you have a camera that saves images to a floppy disk, just insert that disk into your disk drive and the contents of the disk should open automatically on your desktop.
Check the gPhoto2 Web site (http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php) for information on supported cameras as well as other topics related to gPhoto. Here is a list of currently supported digital cameras.
• Agfa ePhoto — Supported models: 307, 708, 708C, 1280, and CL18.
• Cannon Digital — Suported models: IXUS, IXUS 300, and IXUS v.
• Cannon PowerShot — Supported models: A5, A5 Zoom, A10, A20, A50, A70, Gl, G2, Pro70, Pro90 IS, S10, S100, S110, S300, and S20.
• Casio QV — Supported models: 10, 10A, 11, 30, 70, 100, 200, 700, and 5000SX.
• Epson PhotoPC — Supported models: 500, 550, 600, 700, and 800.
• Fuji — Supported models: DS-7, DX-5, DX-10, MX-500, MX-600, MX-700, MX-1200, and MX 2700.
• Hewlett-Packard PhotoSmart — Supported models: 618, C20, C30, and C2000.
• Kodak DC — Supported models: 120, 20, 25, 200+ 210, 210+ Zoom, 215 Zoom, 220 +, 240, 260, 265, 280, 290, 3200, 3400, and 5000.
• Konica — Supported models: QM100, QM100V, Q-EZ, Q-M100, Q-M100V, Q-M200.
• Nicon CoolPix — Supported models: 100, 300, 600, 700, 800, 880, 900, 900S, 910, 950, 950S, and 990.
• Olympus — Supported models: D-100Z, D-200L, D-220L, D-300L, D-320L, D-330R, D-340L, D-340R, D-400L Zoom, D-450Z, D-500L, D-600L, D-620L, C-400L, C-410L, C-800L, C-820L, C-830L, C-840L, C-900 Zoom, C-900L Zoom, C-1000L, C-1400L, and C-2000Z.
• Panasonic — Supported models: Coolshot KXL-600A and KXL-601 A, and NV-DCF5E, and DC 1000 and DC1580.
• Philips — Supported models: ESP60 and ESP 80.
• Polaroid — Supported models: PDC 640 and DC700.
• Ricoh RDC — Supported models: 300, 300Z, 4200, 4300, and 5000.
• Samsung — Supported models: Kenox SSC-350N and Digimax 800K.
• Sanyo VPC — Supported models: G210, G200, G200EX, G250, X300, and X350.
• Sony — Supported models: DSC-F1, DSC-F55, DSC-F505, Memory Stick Adapter, and MSAC-SR1 and DCR-PC100.
Was this article helpful?
Compared to film cameras, digital cameras are easy to use, fun and extremely versatile. Every day there’s more features being designed. Whether you have the cheapest model or a high end model, digital cameras can do an endless number of things. Let’s look at how to get the most out of your digital camera.